MX Fest 2018 started off with a hiss and a roar for Tommy Watts. Day 1 Junior 125cc 14-16 class I wasn’t really happy on the day with my performance but wasn’t really considering how much time I had been off the bike. Arm pump played a huge factor in my results both days purely because I haven’t been racing for a long time.
MX FEST Day 1 – Junior 125cc 14-16 class
I managed to bring home a 2nd behind Brodie Connolly who pulled a pretty good gap on me, arm pump played a pretty big factor, struggling to hold on.
Hole shot out of the start gates, lead the race for ½ a lap. Pushing pretty hard went down and Brodie pulled another good gap. Slipped right back to 12th but managed to regain a few spots to place 7th.
Another hole shot out of the start gates. Love those starts! Managed to maintain front running for ½ a track then pulled back the pace to let Brodie take the lead. Arm pump once again set in and I wanted to maintain my position at 2nd which I managed to hold on to.
Overall placing for the day 3rd
MX FEST Day 2 – Senior 125cc
Hole shot out of the start gates and lead for ¼ track. Pulled back the pace to ease in to the race and stay consistent. Tucked in behind 2nd place of Josh Bourke-Palmer to maintain 3rd position
Didn’t manage to get the holeshot but tucked in behind Brodie. Going pretty quick, put the bike down and dropped back to 12th managed to regain a few positions to place 10th
Managed to pull off another hole shot just to finish the day on a good note. Lead for ¼ of a track, decided to pull back the pace to stay consistent and managed to place 3rd to finish.
Overall placing for the day 4th
All in all a pretty good result considering a few factors that I wasn’t considering while I was in race mode. I enjoyed being back on the bike and have got a pretty good idea where the level is to achieve what I need to. Thanks so much to all of my sponsors, couldn’t do it without your help:
- Steven Croad & Raewynne @ Northern Accessories for supplying me with: Seven Riding Apparel , 6D Helmets, TCX Boots, Oakley Goggles, Renthal Bars, Belray Oil, Twin Air, Michelin Tyres
- Workshop Graphics for making me look sick, Graphics, Signage, Apparel printing, Truck Wrap
- Nitro Seats for gluing me in the saddle
- AFC Motorcycles for the race plan
- Norm Cobb @ Suspension Tech for hooking me up to handle the pace
- Motomuck for bike cleaning made easier and finished product looking MINT!
- Sam Harvey Fitness Trainer for you awesome support and hard yakka to keep me on track
- Pakiri Logging for helping me to be able to stay in the game and aim for the top
- Dewes Contracting for supporting my high performance sport and helping me achieve my goals
- Andrew Isaac @ Race Day Mechanic for keeping my bike on track and helping me out big time
- The Tyre General for funding my dream
- Mum & Dad for putting up with me and telling me off when I need to get back on track
Words and image: Tommy Watts